Thursday, April 18, 2013

An Ode to Jim - The Lover of Life


Do you know Dr. James Mickman?’
Dr. James Mickman
the people would ask.
‘Oh, you mean my brother Jimmy’,
In whose glow I would proudly bask.

Jim was so much to so many.

A nurturing friend – even as a boy.
Gently learning how to know
and nurture friendships that
would last a lifetime, and always grow.

The reader – a voracious student.
Of history, of biography’s, and of literature.
Jim learned much and shared his knowledge,
all of which we were so sure.

The adventurer – traveling the world over.
Riding his thumb, a train or a bike.
Amassing stories to tell to his vast wealth
Of friends and family. Much to our delight!

An avid sailor – a lover of the sea.
A more spirited sailor there shall never be.
Brother Jim was my lifelong sailing partner,
Another I will never have like he.

The family man – so in love with Sarai,
his best friend; the love of his life.
And the proud papa of Amelia and Sophia.
His mother’s son, whose love shone like God’s light.

A noble man - never wanting to miss anything,
we are all so sorry he will miss so much to come.
But Jim left us all with a richer life.
He will be with us always – and then some.

But most of all - the beautiful lover.
We could see the love in the depth of his eyes
And savor it as it filled us 
Like the vast eternity of a deep blue sky.

I wish I were more like Jim.
To live my life as I learned from him.

by brother John

No comments:

Post a Comment