Thursday, May 30, 2013

The First Ride Part 2

In Part one of this story, I was 6 years old and was hitchhiking home from school – the first hitchhiking trip of my young life. Part of the way home, a flock of farm geese was running (waddling) toward me as fast as they could go. I didn’t know what to think of them…

Well, about the time they got very close, they started honking, hissing and poking at me in a most unfriendly manner. Jeez, now what? I started backing away from the oncoming noisy white beasts, and when the first one got to me, the biggest goose of all, he pecked my leg and wouldn’t let go. What? I’m being eaten by a goose?! In an instant, the rest of the flock was on me and all these creatures attacked. Why don’t these geese like me??? I didn’t do anything wrong! I was completely engulfed and overwhelmed by hissing, pecking geese, each one being about half my size.

The onslaught lasted only a second or two before I kicked my way free of the attackers and ran like a gazelle down the road. They came after me, but they were no match for this fleet footed runner. No match at all. I ran for a hundred feet or so, then stopped and shook my fist at them and told them what was what – in no uncertain terms.

As I was finishing giving the geese the verbal thrashing of their lives, a car came around the bend and I stuck my thumb out in hopes of getting a lift away from the farmland attack geese.

The car stopped! This is it, I said to myself. My first ride!

I ran up to the car and opened the door. The man said, “Young man, are you hitchhiking?”

What a crazy question. Of course I’m hitchhiking; what did he think? I had my thumb out and everything. But, I was respectful, Catholic boy and said, “Yes sir, I am hitchhiking. I’m hitchhiking home from school. Can you please give me a ride? I’ve walked from St. John the Baptist School in New Brighton, and I think I’m only about halfway home.”

He smiled at me and said he’d be glad to give me a lift; get in. So I jumped in his car and we continued north along Long Lake Road toward my house. The man asked me what my name was. “John Steven Mickman, sir”, I replied. He wondered if I hitchhiked much and I told him, “No, this was my first time. Thank you for picking me up, sir.” He was pretty surprised that such a young boy would be hitchhiking, but I told him that my dad used to hitchhike all the time. He said that maybe my dad had been older when he was hitchhiking. “Maybe you are still too young to be hitchhiking? Don’t you think you could get hurt by something?” the man asked.

“Well gee, I don’t know how I could get hurt. I was just going down the road. I’ve seen lots of people doing it”, I explained to the man. Maybe he was talking about the geese that had attacked me, I wondered. That is certainly something to be careful of the next time I hitchhike anywhere. Mental note: ‘Watch out for geese when hitchhiking.’  I didn’t tell the man he was correct about being hurt by something - that I had had a run-in with geese just before he picked me up.

The man and I kept talking, but I changed the subject to school and my friend Cris Archibald who went to Rice Creek Elementary. “That’s where I want to go to school but my mom says St. John the Baptist is a better school”, I explained. That was the major topic of conversation as we rode along together, until I told him that I had to get off at the next turn.

Then he suggested that maybe he would drive me all the way to my house! “Well, that would be great”, I said. So he made the left hand turn on Rice Creek Road and I guided him along the way toward home. This was working out much better than I had imagined, and in spite of walking about halfway and doing battle with the geese, I wasn’t much the worse for wear, and I wouldn’t be home much later than if I had taken the bus. Neat. Maybe I’ll do this every day!

When the man and I arrived home, much to my surprise, he parked his car and said maybe he would say hello to my mother. That sounded just fine with me. “My mom is really nice. I’m sure she’d like to meet you sir”, I said with a smile. I was pretty pleased with myself, hitchhiking home, making a new friend with this man and all.

As my new buddy and I walked up the front walk to the house, my mom came out on the front step to greet us. “May I help you sir?” she asked the man.

“Yes ma’am”, he replied. “This is young John, and he says this is his house. Is that right?”

My mom looked at me, then back at the man and asked, “Yes, this is my son. Why was he in your car?”

Holy smokes, I thought to myself. This doesn’t sound very good. I better say something, and fast. “Mom, I was just hitchhiking from school and this man gave me a ride all the way home. Pretty neat huh?” There, that should solve any emerging problem with the situation, I thought to myself.

“That’s right ma’am”, the man said. “He is just a boy and I was concerned that he was in some kind of trouble when I saw him by himself out there on the road. Don’t you think he is a little young to be hitchhiking?” Hmmm, I thought to myself. I thought the man and I had gotten past that subject.

My mom looked relieved at that point and agreed that I was MUCH too young to be hitchhiking. “My husband and John are going to have a serious conversation about this when he gets home from work”, my mom said to the man – as she looked at me with a stern look. “I will make sure this never happens again”, she told the man.

WHAT IS SHE SAYING! Holy smokes; this is no good!  I could hardly believe my ears! My dad used to hitchhike all the time; why can’t I???

“Well, I’m glad you agree ma’am. I was really concerned. Young John here is a nice boy and I’d hate to hear about him getting into any kind of trouble”, the man said to my mom. Trouble? What trouble? Had he seen the geese coming after me?

The man and my mom talked for awhile longer, but I tuned out, wondering what my dad was going to say when he got home from work. I really didn’t think he would be mad. As a matter of fact, I had been thinking he would be proud of me. What a strange turn of events!

Finally, the man looked at me and shook my hand. “It was a pleasure meeting you, John. You’re an interesting boy. But, I do not want to see you hitchhiking anymore”, he said to me.  Huh! I thought to myself. We’ll just see about that after my dad comes home. I had had a really nice afternoon – an adventure!

My dad always arrived home from work just before 5:00 PM, every single day, and at exactly 5:00 PM every single day, our family ate dinner, all 7 of us. On this day, when we sat down for dinner, my hitchhiking escapade was the big topic of conversation. “Yes dad, I did hitchhike home, but it wasn’t a problem. I got a ride from a nice man and he drove me all the home. I want to do it again. Can’t I please hitchhike home again dad? I don’t like riding on the school bus anymore”, I implored.

My dad was kind of an unusual character (I guess is the way one could say it), and he thought that I should be able to continue hitchhiking. But, my mom would have none of it; no 6 year old son of hers was going to be hitchhiking all over the place. No Way. Not a possibility. Not going to happen.

Mom and dad had disagreements, as most couples do, and much of the time my dad won; but not this time.  Mom won this one.  I was told not to hitchhike home anymore.

 But, as it turned out, the school term was almost over, and in the summertime I had no place to go anyway, so I didn’t need to hitchhike. My friend Cris and I had plenty to do without leaving our neighborhood, what with baseball, fort building, throwing rocks, fishing, exploring down at Rice Creek and everything.

But, the next year I was a 2nd grader. I was much older and wiser in the ways of the world. I started hitchhiking again, always wary of marauding, attack geese – and any other unfamiliar perils.

*  *  *  *  *

 I continued hitchhiking for another 20 years. Some of these trips were the best times of my life and I met many unforgettable characters during these excursions. Any good adventure has a certain amount of discomfort and risk involved, otherwise they wouldn’t call it an adventure. Right?

When was your last adventure?


John S. Mickman

www.mickman.com


No comments:

Post a Comment