Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Truck Gangsters and the Band of Mercy; Part II


In last week’s story, my best friend Cris and I had started chasing a fox across a log which was crossing a flooded creek. (Click here to read Part I)

Of the four of us Truck Gangsters, I was the undisputed fastest runner, and at about 79 pounds dripping wet, I flew after that fox like there was no tomorrow. He was fast and snaked though the underbrush like greased lightning, but I was quick and had every intention of catching him, I was right on his heels. I was aware of Cris behind me, but my focus was on trying to outrun and outfox this fox, and for a hundred feet or so I thought I was going to catch him. My breath was coming fast and the adrenaline was coursing through my veins like high voltage electricity. Boy, was this ever fun!

Then, in a millisecond, the race ended. The fox and I came upon a really nasty, thick bunch of brambles and were fighting our way through, when all of sudden, a big mallard duck jumped up, quacking and flapping, trying to get free of the same brambles the fox and I were getting caught up in. The duck was right there in front of me, and he couldn’t get free of the thick branches and vines. In a heartbeat, I made the decision to give up on the fox, and catch the duck instead. With one giant leap, with both hands extended, I left the ground and grabbed the duck around his body, just below his wings, and held on tight as we both crashed to the forest floor.

Well, this duck had no intention of being caught, and he was quacking and flapping and pecking at my hands and arms with all he had. I didn’t want him to peck me in the eye, so I had to hold him at arm’s length, as he continued to attack me while flapping his big wings against my scratched, cut up, and now pecked arms. I was getting beat up pretty bad by this duck and some of the cuts were bleeding. But, there was no way I was going to let this duck go. I was lying on the ground, unable to get up because I couldn’t use my arms and the underbrush was too thick to allow me to get my legs underneath me to stand up.

After doing battle with this duck for a minute or so, Cris came rushing through the brambles. “Holy Smokes John”, he cried out. “You caught a duck!”

“Help me”, I cried. “He’s trying to eat me. Look at him. He’s pecking me to death!” Without my buddy Cris’s help, there was no way I could have held onto the duck much longer. I was about done for.

Much to my relief, Cris sidled up to us, and gently grabbed the duck around his wings and folded them back against the warm, plump body of the duck. “Wow, I can’t believe it John. We got a duck. Look how cool he is!” And Cris was right. Our duck was a big old Mallard drake with an iridescent head and neck, with two curled up feather groupings just above his tail. Just a beautiful creature.

By this time, Cris and I had forgotten all about the fox, and we started back through the brush toward the log crossing. As Cris carried the duck across the creek, I knelt down on the log and washed all the dirt, twigs, leaves and blood off of my arms. My face was a little scratched up too and my mom was going to be mad about my torn shirt.

Once on the other side of the creek, there was a pretty good trail and the going was much better than on the other side. “What are we going to do with the duck?” I wondered aloud to Cris.

“Well one thing for sure, we have to show this duck to our dads. I’ve never heard of anyone ever catching a duck by hand. They’re going to think this is really something”, Cris said.

“Yeah, they are going to think this is really neat. Do you think he will fit in your dad’s live trap?” I asked Cris. “If he doesn’t fit, I don’t know where we can keep him ‘till they come home from work.” Cris was pretty sure the duck would fit in there, and we thought it would be a good idea to gather a bunch of weeds and stuff to put in the cage with him. Because Cris had his hands full, I picked some weeds as we paraded past my house and across the street to Cris’s house.

In Mr. Archibald’s shed there was his live trap, and after I put the weeds in the cage, Cris gently put the duck in there. The duck seemed a little bit anxious, but not too bad. “Let’s go get Mark and Brian and show them our duck”, Cris said. So we left the cage in a shady spot under the lilac hedge and got our brothers. Boy, were they ever impressed with us; we were the heroes. We got Mrs. Archibald and showed the duck to her too. She was a little less impressed, but then again, the moms were not really all that interested in our adventures with the local wildlife.

And of course we had to show off to the little kids; the Band of Mercy. Jim, Jody, Becky Sue and little brother Chris expressed a bit of alarm that we had imprisoned this beautiful wild animal and were worried that we were going to eat it. “Well we don’t know what we’re going to do with him yet”, I told them. “But we’re going to show him to dad and Mr. Archibald and they will have a good idea”, I continued.

“That’s right”, Cris said. “It’s not every day that you hear about someone catching a duck by hand. This is a really cool thing, even if you little kids don’t think so. You guys need to just stay away and don’t scare our duck!” With that, Cris and I went into his house and Mrs. Archibald made some sandwiches for us. We told her about the whole adventure while we ate our jelly sandwiches and drank our milk. Wow, what a day we were having.

After lunch, we went around the neighborhood and got Monty Girard and Robby Shimanski and our other friends and showed them our duck while recounting the story.  Our reputations grew by a couple of notches that afternoon. But, we were most looking forward to showing our duck to the dads.

Mr. Archibald always got home before my dad, and when he pulled into the driveway, Cris and I were right there to meet him. “Wait ‘till you see, dad. You won’t believe what John and I did today”, Cris said to his dad between breaths. We were still so excited, it was hard to maintain.

The three of us walked as fast as we could coax Mr. Archibald to go, trying to contain our excitement. When we got to the shade of the lilac hedge, we showed the cage to Mr. Archibald and exclaimed that we had caught that duck. “What duck?” Mr. Archibald asked. “All I see is a bunch of weeds.”

Cris and I were aghast! The Band of Mercy had struck - and released our duck!!!

*  *   *  *  *  *

When brother Jim grew up a little more, he was initiated into the Truck Gangsters, even though he refused to quit the Band of Mercy. The five of us had many, many adventures together and were all fast friends. But our friendships were not to last;
Mark died in a hunting accident when he was 18.
Cris became a gifted musician, but was drafted and went to Vietnam. He suffered from PTS Syndrome and took his own life.
Brian became a renowned marble wildlife sculptor; but he developed cancer and died in his early 40’s.
Brother Jim, Dr. Jimmy the Kid, became a well-known Pulmonologist at Health Partners. Dr. James Mickman recently died of a brain tumor.

It has been said that there are no friends like old friends. I wouldn’t know; I’m the last Truck Gangster.

No comments:

Post a Comment